This site has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://endpoliticsasusual.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, April 4, 2008

Penn's Going to Get Fired


When my father ran for Congress he hired a campaign manager, Pete, that was making some bad decisions, and wasn't doing a great job. My parents discussed how he should probably be fired. My little brother, who was 9, apparently overheard this and headed out into the general area of the campaign office. He then proceeded to dance around and sing, "Pete's going to get fired.... Pete's going to get fired!"

Pete did get fired. I found this refrain going through my head today as I read the unbelievable story about Hillary's "Chief Strategist" Mark Penn. "Penn's going to get fired..." In case you haven't heard, from MSNBC:

Clinton chief strategist Mark Penn "met with Colombia's ambassador to the U.S. on Monday to discuss a bilateral free-trade agreement, a pact the presidential candidate opposes. Attendance by the adviser, Mark Penn, was confirmed by two Colombian officials. He wasn't there in his campaign role, but in his separate job as chief executive of Burson-Marsteller Worldwide, an international communications and lobbying firm. The firm has a contract with the South American nation to promote congressional approval of the trade deal, among other things, according to filings with the Justice Department."

This is, of course, the richest of ironies given that Hillary made such a stink of Obama's adviser talking with Canadian officials about NAFTA. My favorite quote of hers in Ohio, from CNN:

"I would ask you to look at that story, substitute my name for Senator Obama," she also said. "If some of my advisers had been having private meetings with foreign governments and basically saying ignore what I'm saying because it's only political rhetoric … I think it raises serious questions."

For once, I agree with Hillary.

By the way, my father did not win his election. "Penn's going to get fired..."

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: