This site has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://endpoliticsasusual.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Internet Freedom in Iran

The strangest things sometimes shed light on what's going on in the world. The other day I wrote a post on a blog I do about kids and how Walt Disney is marketing their cartoon Sleeping Beauty. (Yes, I have children so I write about strange things).

The point of the post was that Disney had purposefully changed Sleeping Beauty's dress to pink even though it is blue in the movie. They even altered a scene from the movie on their DVD cover to make the dress pink. My point was that gender affiliation with color has gone too far when a Princess can't wear blue.

Still with me? The point of all this is that I had someone from the "Islamic Republic of Iran" check out my post through digg.com. I was shocked, to say the least. Does this mean that some regular Joe in Iran is able to get on the Internet and check out all kinds of crap like the stuff you find on digg? (no offense to diggers) Or does this mean that President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is like Saddam Hussein: he gets to look, but no one else does? (Not that he was the one checking out my blog. Just saying)

Interestingly, Reporters Without Borders reports that women are using the Internet in Iran to protest what they feel is unequal treatment:

The Internet has become a battleground between the rigid regime and increasingly active militant feminists demanding abolition of discriminatory laws. Two “cyber-feminists” were held for more than a month at Evin prison in December for writing articles calling for equal rights with men.
I don't think my Sleeping Beauty's dress should be blue rant is what they were looking for in the feminist fight against a regime like Iran's. Nevertheless, the visit to my site has reminded me how lucky I am to be able to be mad about something stupid like making a Princess's dress pink and to be able to go and voice my views without any recrimination.

Sphere: Related Content
blog comments powered by Disqus