This site has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://endpoliticsasusual.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

McCain Dodges Sniper Fire, Tells New POW Story

John McCain slipped into Hillary's Sniper Fire land today, fabricating an element of his POW story to play to a Pittsburgh audience. McCain has often told the story of how under torture instead of giving the names of his squadron, he gave the interrogators the names of the offensive line of the Green Bay Packers first Super Bowl team.

Only today, according to ABC's Political Punch, McCain substituted the defensive line of the Pittsburgh Steelers as the names he gave his tormentors. Why? He was talking to a reporter from a Pittsburgh television station. You can see video of the interview HERE.

Here's the version of the story he told in "Faith of My Fathers":
“Once my condition had stabilized, my interrogators resumed their work. Demands for military information were accompanied by threats to terminate my medical treatment if I did not cooperate. Eventually, I gave them my ship’s name and squadron number, and confirmed that my target had been the power plant. Pressed for more useful information, I gave the names of the Green Bay Packers offensive line, and said they were members of my squadron. When asked to identify future targets, I simply recited the names of a number of North Vietnamese cities that had already been bombed.”
The other problem is the famed Steelers defense, the Steel Curtain, didn't even begin to take the country's notice until 1971. By that time, McCain was already a POW, and I can't imagine he would've had access to articles about Mean Joe Greene. Not to mention that the Steelers were a terrible team in the late 60s, hardly a team for whom you would idealize their defense, their best record being 2-12. McCain was taken prisoner in 1967, the same year the Packers won the Super Bowl. It's obvious that team would've been well known to him and one he would've used, not the Steelers.

Either way, McCain admits it was a mistake. As Bill Clinton said of Hillary: So McCain one time late at night when he was exhausted, misstated what happened to him in Vietnam. Some of us when we're 60, er 70, will forget something when we're tried at 11 o'clock at night, too.

Sphere: Related Content
blog comments powered by Disqus