This site has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://endpoliticsasusual.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Top McCain Adviser: We're a "Nation of Whiners"

In what can only be classified as whining, Phil Gramm tells the Washington Times that Americans are only going through a "mental recession" and that we have become a "nation of whiners."

"You've heard of mental depression; this is a mental recession," he said, noting that growth has held up at about 1 percent despite all the publicity over losing jobs to India, China, illegal immigration, housing and credit problems and record oil prices. "We may have a recession; we haven't had one yet."

"We have sort of become a nation of whiners," he said. "You just hear this constant whining, complaining about a loss of competitiveness, America in decline" despite a major export boom that is the primary reason that growth continues in the economy, he said.

"We've never been more dominant; we've never had more natural advantages than we have today," he said. "We have benefited greatly" from the globalization of the economy in the last 30 years.

Aw, Jeez. Guess I should just "get over it." That's always sound advice from a psychologist.

Patient: "Doctor, I've been unable to function, overwhelmed by anxiety and sadness, and I've not been able to get out of bed for the last three days. What should I do?"

Dr. Gramm: "Hell, get out of bed and get over it. It's just some mental problem. You're not really feeling sad and anxious. You just think you're feeling that way. Go home."

I guess I haven't been paying 40$ for a tank of gas in an 11-gallon Toyota Corolla for the first time in my life. I guess I haven't been paying $1.70 for a carton of eggs for the first time in my life. I guess I haven't scaled back my budget to make room for these higher payments, thus causing me to spend less on "frivolous things." Is that whining? I guess it is. Gosh, I didn't think of it like that! I'll just get over it!

This is the response from the DNC, according to First Read:
The Democratic National Committee jumped all over the quotes and sent out this response: "What John McCain, George Bush Phil Gramm just don't understand is that the American people aren't whining about the state of the economy, they are suffering under the weight of it -- the weight of eight years of Bush-enomics that John McCain and Phil Gramm have vowed to continue," DNC spokeswoman Karen Finney said. "How dare John McCain and his advisers so callously dismiss the challenges the American people face. no wonder voters feel John McCain is out of touch, he and his campaign don't even understand the everyday issues Americans are dealing with."


McCain responds HERE, and gets it wrong.

Sphere: Related Content
blog comments powered by Disqus