This site has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://endpoliticsasusual.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Pedro Cerrano Takes Credit for Obama Candidacy

Pedro Cerrano, aka Dennis Haysbert, aka 24's President David Palmer, says his role helped pave the way for Barack Obama. The show portrayed Haysbert's character as the country's first black President. He tells CNN:

"If anything, my portrayal of David Palmer, I think, may have helped open the eyes of the American people," said the actor, who has contributed $2,300 to the Illinois Democrat's presidential campaign.

"And I mean the American people from across the board -- from the poorest to the richest, every color and creed, every religious base -- to prove the possibility there could be an African-American president, a female president, any type of president that puts the people first," he said Tuesday.

Well, let's not get carried away here. I agree it was interesting to see the character on the show, but he wasn't the first. For instance, we have Morgan Freeman in Deep Impact in 1998 as President Tom Beck, a full three years before 24 even hit the small screen. Of course, before that was Glenn Close in Air Force One as the Vice President in 1997. (By the way, my favorite line from that movie: "Somebody get me a copy of the Constitution!")

I think Jobu's been very good to us, but I have to say, "F-you, Jobu. Obama did it himself."

Sphere: Related Content
blog comments powered by Disqus