This site has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://endpoliticsasusual.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, October 3, 2008

Memo from Jefferson to Palin

To: Sarah Palin

From: Thomas Jefferson
RE: Your Constitutional Question

Dear Sarah:

You may be surprised to hear from me as I have been dead for quite a while now. However, your performance in the Vice Presidential debate last night caught my attention. For the first time in months, I walked away from Socrates (mid-sentence mind you) to turn my attention back to this great country. I believe you were asked if you understood what a Vice President does and what the limits of his power are. You replied:

"Our founding fathers were very wise there in allowing through the Constitution much flexibility there in the office of the vice president."

First, thanks for the compliment. Second, I don't know if you realized it, but the questioner actually asked if you thought the Vice President was part of the Legislative and the Executive branch (instead of just the Executive branch). By the way, it must've been hard to hear up there as you seemed to not answer a lot of her questions.

Now, I don't know what a hockey mom is, and I don't know why you would put lipstick on a pit bull, but I do know about separation of powers. You know, checks and balances. (You probably learned about this in 6th grade?) As a founding father, let me give you a couple of tips. Here are some of my views of separation of powers and the limits the Constitution imposes on government:

"To take a single step beyond the boundaries thus specifically drawn around the powers of Congress, is to take possession of a boundless field of power, no longer susceptible of any definition."


"Free government is founded in jealousy, and not in confidence; it is jeal­ousy, and not confidence which prescribes limited con­stitutions, to bind down those whom we are obliged to trust with power."


"To preserve the republican forms and principles of our Constitution and cleave to the salutary distribution of powers which that has established... are the two sheet anchors of our Union. If driven from either, we shall be in danger of foundering."

I think it's good advice. While unsolicited, I thought you could use the help. Good night, and good luck.

Thomas Jefferson

ps - if you run into this Cheney person, please pass along my advice.

Sphere: Related Content
blog comments powered by Disqus